Monday, March 1, 2010

Language Arts IT Home Learning

Linguistic:

c. You are now adapting the novel for a drama play. Depict / write out a scene from the novel.


In the above assignment, I will be adopting the starting of Chapter 9 as I feel that it is the start of the Tom Robinson saga and it is the point when Scout starts to learn more about the segregation in Maycomb.


Scene 1
S.D (stage direction) - cecil jacobs and scout are on stage cecil jacobs : Scout Finch's dad defended niggers. Her whole family are nigger-lover. Haha.......
S.D - Scout clenches her fists getting ready to punch Cecil Jacobs
scout: You can just take that back!
S.D - stage light fades out
scout's voice saying: Atticus had promised me he would wear me out if he ever heard of me fighting anymore; I was far too old and too big for such childish things, and the sooner I learned to hold in, the better off everybody would be. I soon forgot.

Scene 2
S.D - jem and scout are on stage
scout: Jem, do you know Cecil?
jem: Ya, isn't he the guy from your class?
scout: Ya well, he kind'a said something today. He said that Atticus defended niggers.
scout: Jem, what'd mean saying that?
jem: Nothing. Ask Atticus he'll tell you.
S.D - scout walks over to Atticus at the other room sitting on a rocking chair
scout: Do you defend niggers, Atticus?
atticus: of course I do. Don't say niggers, Scout. That's common.
scout: 's what everybody at school says.
atticus: From now on it'll be everybody less one.
S.D - atticus looks at scout mildly, amusement in his eyes
scout: Do all lawyers defend nig---Negroes, Atticus?
atticus: Of course they do, Scout.
scout: Then why did Cecil say you defended niggers? He made it sound lie you were runnin' a still.
S.D - atticus lets out a sigh
atticus: I'm simply defending a Negro - his name's Tom Robinson. He lives in a little settlement beyond the town dump. He's a member of Calpurnia's church, and Cal knows his family well. She says they're clean-living folks. Scout, you aren't old enough to understand some things yet, but there's been some high talk around town to the effect that I shouldn't do much about defending this man. It's a peculiar case - it won't come to trial until summer session. John Taylor was king enough to give us a postponement....
scout: If you shouldn't be defendin' him, then why are you doin' it?
atticus: For a number of reasons. The main one is, if I didn't I couldn't hold my head up in town, I couldn't represent this county in the legislature, i couldn't even tell you or Jem not to do somethin' again.
scout: You mean if you didn't defend that man, Jem and me wouldn't have to mind you anymore?
atticus: That’s about right.
scout: Why?
atticus: Because I could never ask you to mind me again. Scout, simply by the nature of the work, a lawyer gets at least one case in his lifetime that affects him personally. This one’s mine, I guess. You might hear some ugly talk at school, but do one thing for me if you will: you just hold you head high and those you fists down. No matter what anybody says, don’t you let em’ get your goat. Try fighting with your head for a change, it’s a good, even if it does resist learning.

scout: Atticus, are we going to win it.

atticus: No honey

scout: Then why-

atticus: Simply because we were licked a hundred years before we started is no reason for us not to try to win.

scout: Atticus, you sound like Ike Finch. Tell you, Atticus, cousin Ike would say “the Missouri Compromise was what licked us, but if I had to go through it again I’d walk every step of the way there an’ every step back just like I did before an’ furthermore………

atticus: Come here scout.

S.D – scout crawls into atticus’s lap and he starts rocking her

atticus: It’s different this time, Scout. This time we’re fighting for our friends, not the Yankees. But remember this, no matter how bitter things get, they’re still our friends and this is still our home.

S.D – stage light fades out

No comments:

Post a Comment